There was a time when people would drive faster by the golf clubs and courses because it was the lost or rare sports. But in this modern world where mobiles have become the entertainment, golf is rising from the ashes and developing into a successful sports field in all its glory. This is to signal that golf has impregnated our lives like crazy.
With this being said, it is pretty clear that the number of golfers is increasing exponentially since everyone is inclining towards this game. Consequently, there is an evident surge in demand for golfing equipment, such as clubs, irons, and woods. But choosing the right equipment is crucial for making the straight shots and development of improved golfing experience.
When it comes down to golf, the high handicappers are increasing in number because the beginners struggle with lower loft. The high handicappers work with an increase in scores because they aren’t able to improve. However, if you improve the short game, golfing trends have enhanced.
In the same vein, beginners and high handicappers can improve the golf game by selecting the right wedges. The new golfers and high handicappers are often confused about what is deemed as the good wedge. Choosing the most forgiving wedges and golf wedge set is the utmost importance. So, in this article, we have outlined the best golf wedges ever for you so that you can shot the lower scores impeccably.
|Top Top Top||Cleveland Golf 2018 Men's CBX Wedge||Prime||Check Price|
|Top Top||2018 Cobra King Black Wedge||Prime||Check Price|
|Top Top||Cleveland Golf Men's RTX 4 Wedge||Prime||Check Price|
|Top Top||xE1 Sand Wedge & Lob Wedge||Prime||Check Price|
|Top Top||C3i Sand Wedge & Lob Wedge–Premium Right Hand - High Loft Golf Club||Prime||Check Price|
|Top Top||TaylorMade Golf MG2 Chrome Wedge||Prime||Check Price|
|Top Top||TaylorMade Golf MG2 Black Wedge||Prime||Check Price|
|Top Top||LAZRUS Premium Forged Golf Wedge Set for Men||Prime||Check Price|
|Top Top||Wilson Sporting Goods Harmonized Golf Pitch Wedge||Prime||Check Price|
1- Cleveland Golf 2018 Men’s CBX Wedge – best wedges for high handicappers 2021
Cleveland CBX Wedge is the ultimate wedge for high handicappers. There are two reasons that you should choose this wedge; the first one is the brand, and the second one is the performance outlining. The wedge is designed with right-hand and left-hand orientation, making it suitable for every high handicapper golfer out there, with higher accessibility.
The wedge has also been designed with a graphite and steel shaft to ensure the highest standards of durability and performance. Also, it gives multiple choices. The wedge has been integrated with the wedge flex that’s suitable for the shots’ inculcation of flexibility. Even more, we have outlined the salient features of this wedge in the section below;
- The wedge has been designed with the right-handed and left-handed orientation, promising its availability for every high handicapper out there
- The wedge is suitable to meet diverse needs because there are graphite and steel shaft which is the epitome of performance
- The wedge has been integrated with a wedge flex to ensure the development of flexible shots
- The wedge has been designed with multiple loft configurations, such as 48 Degrees, 50 Degrees, 52 Degrees, 54 Degrees, 56 Degrees, 58 Degrees, and 60 Degrees that optimize the angle of the shots
- There is a clean and classic shaping in this wedge that optimizes the highest standards of forgiveness
- This wedge is one of the best cavity back wedges with a suitable design that optimizes the weight repositioning while increasing the forgiveness level
- The wedge has been designed with a broad and dual v-sole which ensures the inculcation of turf interaction
- There is a wide toe and a narrow feel that not only enhances the versatility and forgiveness level
- The wedge has been impregnated with a feel balancing technology that optimizes the position of the center of gravity, promising better feel and sound of shots
For every high handicapper who has been looking for a wedge that improves the low score issues, this Cleveland wedge is the ultimate choice for you. Be it the low center of gravity or higher forgiveness rate; this wedge has been impregnated with everything essential.
2- Cobra Golf King Black Wedge – best golf wedges for high handicappers
Cleveland wedges might be the best one out there, but Cobra has outshined every other wedge. This wedge is the ultimate answer to high handicappers. This black king wedge is the right choice for every golfer out there, integrating right-handed and left-handed orientation. The wedge has been designed with a steel shaft for promising price and performance.
The wedge has been designed with a wedge flex to ensure the inculcation of correct flexibility in the shots. There are multiple loft configurations in the wedge that helps optimize the angle of the shots. The best thing about this wedge is the classic outlook that settles with the golf course’s needs. In the section below, we have also added different features of this wedge down!
- The wedge has been designed with the right-handed and left-handed orientation to ensure this wedge is suitable for every high handicapper out there
- The wedge is integrated with a steel shaft that optimizes the highest standards of performance and durability
- The wedge has a wedge flex to ensure there is proper flexibility in the shot
- There are different loft configurations in this wedge, such as Versatile Grind 52 Degree, Versatile Grind 56 Degree, Versatile Grind 60 Degree, Classic Grind 52 Degree, Classic Grind 56 Degree, Versatile Grind 50 Degree, Versatile Grind 54 Degree, and Versatile Grind 58 Degree which helps optimize the angle
- The wedge has been designed with a durable satin black finish that offers the highest level of resistance, offering better outlook and durability
- There is a 100% CNC milled face and grooves to ensure there is consistent spin across the clubface
- The wedge is designed with a patented CNC milling technique that offers higher control and spins over the shots around the greens
- There is a progressive spin technology that delivers healthy loft options, optimizing consistent trajectories among lofts
- Three wedge grinds help offer versatility for turf, green, and lies
Choosing the right wedge is essential for every high handicapper because it helps optimize the short game. This wedge has everything one needs, such as consistent spin and trajectories. However, you might need to invest time and effort in understanding the different grind types.
3- Cleveland Golf Men’s RTX 4 Wedge – best sand wedge for high handicappers
For every high handicapper out there, choosing the best wedge for chipping is the best option because it only enhances the score but improves the short game. This wedge is designed with higher availability in mind because it’s available in right-handed and left-handed orientation. The best thing about this wedge is that it’s available in multiple sizes.
The wedge is also designed with multiple styles to meet the bounce needs of different high handicapper needs. The wedge is integrated with steel and wedge flex, which helps optimize the flexibility of the shots. Besides, there is a black satin finish to ensure you can outline a high-end outlook on the golf course. We have also added multiple features of this wedge below;
- This wedge has been designed with a right-handed and left-handed orientation to make sure it’s suitable for every golfer out there
- The wedge is available in different sizes, such as 50 degrees, 52 degrees, 54 degrees, 56 degrees, 58 degrees, 60 degrees, and 62 degrees to ensure proper angle in the shots
- There are steel and wedge flex in this Cleveland wedge to ensure there is an optimum level of flexibility in the shots
- The wedge has been integrated with multiple bounce styles, such as mid bounce, full bounce, low bounce, and slow bounce to meet the different playability needs of the golfers
- The wedges have a black satin finish, topped with PVD which promises the ultra-durable finish and longevity of the wedge
- There is a 4th generation Rotex face technology in the wedge with tour zip grooves that helps in generation of spin
- The wedge is integrated with a progressive feel balancing technology that helps adjust the center of gravity, promising higher distance control and enhanced feel
- The wedge has a MID feature with a v-shaped sole that allows improving the smooth shot performance
- The golfers will be able to promise crisp pitch shots all around the green
Golfing has become an art, and if you have always wanted to play amazing shots, choosing the right wedge is the ultimate solution. The wedge has been designed to improve smooth shot performance and better bouncing of the shots. However, you will need to invest some extra bucks to get this wedge, but it’ll be worth it!
4- xE1 Sand Wedge & Lob Wedge – best wedge for high handicappers
There was a time when golf courses were filled with men, but now, even women have joined the field. In the same vein, if you go to the golf course as a couple, this wedge is the right choice because it’s designed to suit men and women golfers out there. The wedge is designed with left-handed and right-handed orientation, making it available for every golfer out there.
The wedge has been designed with a steel shaft that not only makes the wedge economically priced, but performance will be top-notch as well. This wedge is perfect for adding just-right flexibility in the shots, given the wedge flex. Also, there are multiple loft configurations available to help you outline the angle of the shots. In the section below, we have also added features of this wedge down;
- The wedge has been designed with right-handed and left-handed orientation, making it suitable for the majority of golfers out there
- The wedge has a steel shaft which promises its reasonable price and higher performance charts
- The wedge has been designed with a wedge flex that promises the utmost level of flexibility in the shots
- The wedge is designed with three different loft configurations, such as 55 degrees, 59 degrees, and 65 degrees to ensure perfectly angled shots
- The wedge is designed with an auto-glide sole that helps automate and ease the shot
- There is an extra-wide sole in the wedge that allows in the repositioning of the mass so that there is no skipping and digging
- There are extreme lofts in this wedge which means golfers can make shots to the pin while enhancing the height of the shots
- The wedge has been designed with the rounded leading edge that offers the highest forgiveness level even when you struggle with mishits
- The golfers will be able to save the strokes with the unique design so that you can make chip shots and pitch
For every high handicapper who needs to optimize the shots’ flexibility and consistency, this wedge is a fantastic option. If you ask us, this wedge is a suitable option for the majority of golfers out there. However, you might compromise on control over the shots because the grip isn’t good enough.
5- C3i Wedge – Premium Sand Wedge, Lob Wedge for Men & Women
There are multiple brands in the market, offering a wide range of wedges and other golfing equipment. However, you need to be vigilant while choosing the wedges because your short game majorly depends. With this being said, C3I is one high-end golf manufacturing brand out there. So, with this wedge, they have optimized higher availability because it’s suitable for men and women golfers out there.
This wedge is designed with left-handed and right-handed orientation, making it suitable for every golfer out there. There is a stainless-steel shaft in this wedge to ensure you have the highest performance and affordability level. The tipping point of this wedge is the wedge flex that helps optimize the flexibility of the shots. We have also added the salient features of this wedge below;
- The wedge has been designed with a right-handed and left-handed orientation that promises suitability for every golfer. Also, it’s equally suitable for men and women golfers out there
- The wedge is integrated with a stainless-steel shaft to ensure there are optimum performance and affordability levels
- The wedge is designed with a wedge flex that helps optimize the flexibility of the shots
- There are multiple loft configurations in the wedge, such as 55 degrees, 59 degrees, and 65 degrees that help maximize the angle of the shots
- The wedge is integrated with auto-glide sole cuts so that there are no digging and skipping issues with your shots
- The golfers will be able to make shots around the green and make clear shots
- The wedge is designed with an extra curve and a beveled leading edge that helps make clean contact and consistent shots
- The wedge has a unique design that enables you to harness the swing speed, and you will also receive higher confidence over the shots
- The wedge is designed with tap-in putts so that you can make golfing shots around the par
Choosing the right wedge is the perfect choice for high handicappers because it helps harness the correct shots. With this wedge, you will be able to make consistent shots around the par and green easily. The topping point is that there are no cons in this wedge!
6- TaylorMade Golf MG2 Wedge – best wedge for chipping
Golf is the well-reputed sports field out there, and if you have been trying to make the right shot, what can be a better choice than TaylorMade, right? You might have read thousands of TaylorMade reviews out there, and they are all true. This MG2 wedge is the versatile choice out there because there is right-handed and left-handed orientation out there.
This TaylorMade wedge will outshine every other brand because it’s designed with a plethora of styles and bounce angles. The wedge has been designed with black and silver color options to ensure it suits every golfer’s needs out there. We have also added the wide range of features of this TaylorMade MG2 wedge out there for better insights!
- The wedge has been designed with right-handed and left-handed orientation, promising its availability for every golfer out there
- There are different style names and configurations out there, such as 50 Degree Loft, 9 Degree Bounce, 52 Degree Loft, 9 Degree Bounce, 54 Degree Loft, 11 Degree Bounce, 56 Degree Loft, 12 Degree Bounce, 56 Degree Loft, 8 Degree Bounce, 60 Degree Loft, 10 Degree Bounce, 60 Degree Loft, 8 Degree Bounce, 58 Degree Loft, 11 Degree Bounce, 54 Degree Loft, 8 Degree Bounce, 58 Degree Loft, 8 Degree Bounce, 56 Degree Loft, 14 Degree Bounce, 60 Degree Loft, 12 Degree Bounce, 54 Degree Loft, 13 Degree Bounce, and 58 Degree Loft, 12 Degree Bounce for the optimal angle of the shots
- The wedge has been designed with black and silver color options to match with your other golfing equipment
- The wedge is designed with a raw face design that helps optimize the feel and spin on the shots
- The wedge has a thick-thin head design with sharp and deep grooves that helps make higher spin rate
- The wedge has a low and deep center of gravity that helps make precise flight and feel
- The wedge has been designed with a laser-etched pattern for lowering the bounce and enables you to make soft shots off the ground
- There are milled Grind in the wedge that helps optimize the maximum versatility rate
- With the TPU insert in this wedge, the golfers will be able to make consistent and precise shots
For the high handicappers who don’t need the higher bounce, this wedge is a fantastic choice for you. This TaylorMade has more increased availability. Be it the multiple loft configurations or consistent and precise shots; this wedge is the right choice for you.
7- LAZRUS Premium Forged Golf Wedge Set for Men – best wedges for high handicapper
Ever since the golfing trend has been incrementing, the need for the right golfing equipment has increased as well. When it comes down to choosing the right golf equipment, choosing the right brand plays a vital role in optimizing the playability. So, LAZRUS is one fantastic brand, and they have designed this premium forged golf wedge.
The wedge has been designed with right-handed and left-handed orientation, making it available for most golfers out there. However, the hand orientation differs with the wedge color. There are multiple styles available in this wedge as well. There is the inculcation of advanced technology in the wedge, and we have outlined additional features of this wedge below;
- The wedge has been designed with right-handed and left-handed orientation, making it suitable for the majority of high handicapper golfers out there
- The wedge is designed with 52 degrees, 56 degrees, and 60 degrees loft configurations to ensure you can make an optimized angle in the shots
- The wedge has been designed with a milled face that helps optimize the precise and clean shots
- The wedge has a micro-milled face that helps enhance control over the shots and higher spin rate
- The golfers will be able to optimize consistent shots in the fairway, rough, and fringe
- The face of the wedge has been designed with narrow and sharp grooves that ensure there is an ultimate level of precision and accuracy in the shots
- The wedge is designed with a repositioned mass that helps promise a low and deep center of gravity for better control over the shots
If you are a high handicapper and have been looking for a wedge that offers higher control over shots, this wedge is the right choice. Even more, the wedge is perfect for optimizing accurate, precise, and consistent shots. Last but not least, we couldn’t find any downside in this wedge!
8- Pinemeadow Wedge – Best golf wedges ever
This wedge is the brainchild of Pinemeadow, and they have cranked up the notch of golf shots. For every beginner and high handicapper golfer, this is a fantastic choice. However, to harness the benefits of this wedge, you need to be a leftie. That being said, beginner golfers struggle with cuts and slacks, but this wedge will take care of this through the anti-slice technology. It is pretty challenging to make shots from the soft land, and this driver promises zero impacts on the shot quality.
It is no secret that golfers struggle with mishits, and to cater to this issue, this wedge has a huge titanium head that enhances the forgiveness level. However, the charge is an essential component to make effective shots because it comes in contact with the ball. So, to protect the driver’s head, the packages come with a headcover. As for the features, we have added essential information in the section below!
- The wedge is available in a left-handed orientation which means that only the leftie beginners can play the golf shots with it
- The wedge has been integrated with the offset anti-slice technology which will help you cut and slack the shots just right
- The wedge will be able to make the shots from soft land with this wedge
- The wedge has been integrated with a 460cc titanium that is designed to optimize the shots and increase the forgiveness level
- The wedge has been designed with different loft configurations, such as 52 degrees, 56 degrees, 60 degrees, and 64 degrees
- The wedge comes with a headcover which is responsible for protecting the clubhead from damage when you aren’t playing with it
- The wedge is available with an economical price factor to ensure that beginners can enjoy the golf without worrying about money
- The wedge will help the golfers make strong and strengthened shots
- The center of gravity is pretty low which will hook the golfers to the game
- The golfers will be able to drive straight shots
For everyone who has been trying to kick start their golfing career, choosing the wedge is an essential matter. If you’ve been on a similar quest, this wedge will help you make straight and strong shots without compromising forgiveness. However, only the left-handed golfers can make the shots with this wedge!
9- Wilson Harmonized Golf Wedge – best cleveland wedges
Wilson is one of the most high-end golf equipment manufacturing brands out there. With this being said, they have designed this wedge for the high handicapper golfers out there. The best thing about this wedge is designed with a right-handed and left-handed orientation to meet the diverse needs of golfers out there.
The wedge has been designed with the steel shaft, which isn’t only durable but reasonably priced. This Wilson harmonized golf wedge is integrated with a wedge flex that helps optimize the shots’ perfect flexibility rate. The best thing about this wedge is multiple loft configurations that help outline the shots’ perfect angle. In the section below, we have also added the wide range of features of this wedge!
- This wedge has been designed with a left-handed and right-handed orientation which makes the wedge suitable for every high handicapper out there
- The wedge has been designed with steel shaft which isn’t only durable but is reasonably priced as well
- The wedge has been designed with a wedge flex to ensure there are no compromises on the flexibility of the shots
- The wedge is designed with multiple loft configurations, such as 50 degrees, 52 degrees, and 60 degrees that help optimize the angle of the shots
- The wedge has been designed with a classic yet high polish finish to ensure it looks perfect in the golf course
- The wedge is integrated with a classic blade shape that helps make precise and shaped shots
- The golfers will be able to make shots close to the pin
- The golfers will be able to harness the versatile shots in rough, fairway, and sand
- The wedge is constructed with right temper steel iron that ensures the development of reliability and performance in the shots
- The wedge has a sole grind that empowers the golfers to make higher shots without compromising on the accuracy of the shots
- The wedge is designed to offer the highest standards of performance
Being a high handicapper can be pretty tricky for the golfers because they need to choose the right wedge. This wedge has been designed with a high polish finish so that you can make a better outlook on the golf course. Even more, there is a higher performance rate and flexibility in the shots!
Best Wedges For High Handicappers
For every golfer out there, choosing the right equipment plays a vital role in making the straight shots. Even more, if you are a high handicapper, selecting the right wedge is highly crucial because you need to ensure the highest standards of performance if you want to improve the short game. However, high handicappers are beginners, and choosing the right wedge can be difficult for them.
There are different factors to consider in the same vein while choosing the wedge for your high handicapper self. Even more, when you consider these essential factors, you will be able to make an informed choice about the wedge. If you don’t know which points to consider, we have designed this buying guide to help you make an informed and practical choice. So, have a look!
The loft is defined as the angle between the face of the club and shaft. If you are considering investing in a wedge, you can look for the higher loft choices because it helps make optimized shots. The loft for the wedges ranges from 46 degrees to 64 degrees. When you opt for a higher loft, the launch will be higher as well. Besides, the launch will be better.
But when you are a high handicapper, you should stay away from the large lofts because they can be challenging to play with you. As a high handicapper, you should consider the loft angles in the range of 50s.
If you are trying to make shots around the turf and sand, you need to be considerate about the bounce angle because, with bounce, you will be able to define the wedges’ playability. The bounce is usually designed to serve the purpose of shovels. As for the mid handicappers, you need to be considerate about choosing the right bounce.
While you are out in the market to buy a wedge, you will see two numbers written on them, such as 52/14. The first numeric value represents the loft angle, while the second one helps assess the bounce angle. The bounce is defined as the sole area that helps make shots around the turf during the swing. The bounce comes from the point through which the wedge hits at the impact.
When it comes down to the wedge, there are different elements to consider, such as bounce angle, leading-edge, and sole width. The bounce angle is defined as the angle developed between the sole’s part that hits the ground and the leading edge. The bounce angle differs when there is a difference in construction.
With the lower bounce angle, the sole width will be lower. This combination will directly impact the forgiveness rate. As for the bounce angle, we have outlined the meaning of low, middle, and high bounce angle, such as;
The wedge is said to have a lower bounce angle if the angle development ranges from four degrees to six degrees. The soft bounce angle of the wedges is suitable for golfers that tend to have a shallow swing. Also, if the golf course is designed with a firm surface, the wedge’s low bounce angle will be better.
The wedges have a mid and standard bounce angle if it ranges from seven degrees to ten degrees. These bounce angles are usually more versatile, and it tends to meet the demands of different high handicappers and their swing type. Also, mid bounce angle suits multiple course conditions.
If the wedge has a bounce angle of more than ten degrees, it is the high bounce angle. With this bounce angle, the leading edge tends to be higher, and the sole will rest on the ground. The high bounce angle of the wedge is suitable for golfers who tend to dig the swing. Also, it is better to make shots from peaceful grounds and surfaces, along with soft sand.
The high handicappers need to ensure the shots’ high-end feel and accuracy, and if you are one such golfer, you need to opt for steel shaft wedges. Also, there are graphite shafts as well, but they aren’t the right standard. These wedges with graphite shafts are available in the set. Some golfers think that steel shafts are too heavy.
On the other hand, the graphite shafts are designed to suit the swing speed while making them more lightweight and flexible. With the steel shaft, the flex will be stiff. As a high handicapper, you need to opt for wedge flex because it helps enhance reliability in playability and accuracy in the shot. The steel shafts are suitable for tight shot dispersion.
On the other hand, if you are a tour golfer, choosing the graphite shaft is the right choice because it helps enhance the clubhead speed. The wedges are needed to make shots within 100 yards, so make sure you choose the right shaft.
While choosing the correct wedge, you need to consider multiple factors. For instance, when it comes down to the wedge sole, which means you need to think about the Grind as well. The Grind is positioned around the heel and toe to ensure you can make better shots whenever there is the club to ball contact. It doesn’t matter which handicap level you are at; Grind is an essential factor to consider. In this section, we have also added different grind options;
- U-Grind – this is the right choice for people who need to add bounce to the middle section of the Grind and sole
- L-Grind – this is the suitable choice for people who need to make shots in the firm environment and if they need to sweep the ball from the ground
- M-Grind – this is the optimal choice for people who are looking for higher playability and struggle with moderate swing
- K-Grind is a suitable choice for golfers who play their shots on soft or out of the sand. Also, if you tend to make shots from steeps, K-Grind is the right choice
- C-Grind – this is the suitable choice for golfers that sweep the ball from the firm golf course
- S-Grind – if you want to lower the leading edge and make solid shots with the open-face club, this is the ultimate choice
- X-Grind – this Grind is the right choice for golfers who struggle with a steep attack angle
- Standard Grind – with this Grind, the golfers with moderate swing plane can use this Grind
- Complete Grind – this Grind is optimal for golfers who have a steep swing path with soft course
- F-Grind – this is suitable for the majority of swing types and course conditions
When it comes down to the wedges, you might think that tech and golf factors are essential to consider, but the wedge’s aesthetics will play a significant role in improving the game. That’s to say because if your wedge has a captivating outlook, the golfers will have higher confidence. Also, the wedges and their aesthetics will offer a drastic impact on golf.
Types Of Shots
It wouldn’t be wrong to say that wedges are the golf bag’s most versatile golf clubs. However, the wedges are used within the green’s 100 yards area, and they are designed to offer higher spin compared to other clubs. If you are a beginner, you will not be able to hit the greens. With this being said, it is pretty clear that wedges will help make better scores, and you will be able to make short putts to save the par.
There are different types of wedges out there, and the finish differs equally as well. The different types of finishes will help offer different types of feel. The difference in feel will be pretty subtle. In the section below, we have outlined different types of finishes involved with the wedges.
To be honest, the wedges designed with a raw finish help offer a soft and responsive feel to the shots. The best thing about natural finish is that it doesn’t glare with the sun, and there will be no scratching and rusting issues involved.
The matte finish is the most common finish for the wedges. The best thing about matte finish is that there will be no reflection. With this being said, there will be no rounds under the sun. The matte finish tends to be thicker than a chrome finish, and it tends to dampen the response and feel.
The chrome finish tends to glare under sunlight and offers a more responsive feel.
This is the most refined finish out there, which has been designed to rust. This rusting will help add a higher spin rate.
When it comes down to add higher control over the shots and add accuracy to the shots, you need to choose the right wedge. Also, the wedge will help add a better spin rate. When the golfers know how the ball will react to the impact, it’s hitting the green will ensure your ball lands closer to the holes. Also, the grooves play an essential role in adding the spin.
There are different groove technologies out there, and they can directly impact the spin. However, you need to make sure that all the grooves are clean while making the shots.
If you are a high handicapper, you need to choose the wedge that offers the highest forgiveness level. That’s to say because high handicappers take time to develop the skills and ability to cope with mishits. Once the handicap level is reduced, it is better that you switch to pure blade designs because they have perimeter weighting and cavity to meet your changing needs.
While choosing the wedges for high handicappers, you need to be extremely considerate about the versatility. For instance, you need to think about different swings and how they differ with the four different types of wedges. The different types of wedges will optimize the bounce angle and differ with the course conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Is A Wedge?
This higher lofted club features a rounded head that makes it easier for beginners and high-handicappers to use it in uneven course and sand for easy lifting with high gyration. They have a higher loft, so they work better from short distances. They produce a tall curve with a smooth landing that delivers distance control and precision to the player.
2. What Are The Different Types Of Wedges?
Just like irons, wedges are available in two head designs: muscle backed design and cavity-backed design. The muscle backed ones are less forgiving compared to cavity-backed ones. If you are high-handicapper, we would recommend you to get a cavity-backed wedge because short shots can be challenging to strike the sweet spot.
Now, it does not matter if your wedge is cavity-backed or muscle backed, it normally comes in four different types: pitching wedge, gap wedge, sand wedge, and lob wedge. The pitching wedge has 46 to 50 loft degrees. The gap wedge features 50 to 54 loft degrees. The sand wedge has 54 to 58 loft degrees and the lob wedge vaunts 58 to 62 loft degrees.
3. How Many Golf Clubs A High-Handicapper Can Carry?
You can carry 14 clubs in your bag. The complete golf set consists of:
- 3 wood
- 4, 5, and 6 hybrid
- 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 iron
- Pitching wedge
4. Which Traits Make A Wedge The Best?
It is essential for high-handicappers and newbies to play with extra forgiving wedges. A certain amount of skill is required to make powerful interaction. As you develop your game and become a single-digit handicapper, you can get a blade wedge. However, in the starting, you should get a wedge that is more forgiving and comes with a cavity or perimeter weighting.
You should carry at least three to four wedges in your bag. The wedges must have different sorts of bounces so that you can take advantage of them for diverse types of course conditions.
Drivers and irons could cost you hundreds of dollars, but the wedges are available at very affordable prices. You can anticipate investing only a hundred dollars for a stellar quality wedge.
5. What Is A Gap Wedge?
As the name suggests, it is intended to fill the gap between the sand and pitching wedge. It is also known as an attack or utility wedge and comes with a loft degree of 50 to 53. It is offered in an iron set and used for fuller shots, longer chips, and half swing strikes.
6. What Is Meant By Lob Wedge?
Lob wedge was invented in the 1930s. The primary purpose of its creation was to generate maximum spin and height for the shots closer to the green. For this purpose, it has a higher loft degree of 60 to 64 and even more. As it has a higher loft, so golfers don’t use it for full shots. It is commonly utilized for flops, chips, and bunker shots.
7. Should I Carry A Lob Wedge In My Bag?
No, you don’t need to carry a lob wedge. Even if you are a beginner, simply learn to adjust your grip and open up your sand wedge’s face as you address the golf ball. This method turns your 56-degree sand wedge into a 60-degree lob wedge.
8. Do Professional Golfers Use 64-Degree Wedges?
No, they don’t use them because they are hard to hit. If you are a beginner or high-handicapper, you can use a 48-degree pitching wedge, 58-degree lob wedge, and 54-degree sand wedge. But, all of these wedges should have different bounce degrees.
9. What Three Wedges Should A High-Handicapper Use?
You can use a gap wedge (48 to 50 degrees), a sand wedge (54 to 56 degrees), and a lob wedge (58 to 69 degrees).
10. Can I Use A Sand Wedge For Chipping?
If you want to chip, the order of club choice will be:
- 7 iron
- Pitching wedge
- Sand wedge
The SW has a heavy clubhead, so you should use it in the heavily grassed course. If you are unable to chip the ball, your ultimate choice will be a pitch shot. This shot turns the body and elevates the hands but with a shorter adjusted backswing. It is useful for shorter distances.
11. Which is the best degree to use for the sand wedges for the high handicapper?
If you are a high handicapper and want to learn to make the right shots with a sand wedge, 58 degree is the best degree to opt for.
12. What to consider while choosing the wedge?
While you are trying to choose the wedge for the high handicapper, you will need to consider multiple factors, such as;
- Types of wedges
13. How different finishes impact the playability?
There are four different finishes for the wedge, such as chrome finish, raw finish, oil can finish, and matte finish. The wedge finish will directly impact the spin and response, along with the feel of the shots. The rust and shine will also be affected by the finish.
14. What makes the high quality of a wedge?
While choosing the high quality of a wedge, you need to consider different aspects, such as durability, control, value, versatility, and technology.
15. Which shots can be played with a wedge?
With a wedge, you will make different types of shots, such as approach shots, lob shots, chip shots, pitch shots, and sand shots. Also, the shots that you play with a wedge depends on the playing style and how you are complying with the wedge.
The Bottom Line
Before you choose the best wedges for a high handicapper, you need to outline the skill levels. It would also be best if you traced the reason you are looking for a wedge in the first place. In addition, you need to consider what can be done to make easier shots. With this article, we will also help you make an informed choice with the wedge purchase. Even with a buying guide, you will understand the importance of different factors that can impact the play-ability!