Golf is one fantastic sport out there, which is getting popular with each passing day. Well, it might be a fantastic sport, but it comes with a fair share of strict rules, and every golfer has to abide by the authorities. The golf courses are designed in serene places to get the much-needed breath of fresh air from the tech-infused and fast-paced world.
In the same vein, once you are ready to hit the golf course, you need to be equipped with the right equipment because it helps optimize the shots. Besides, the right equipment will help shape the shots while enhancing the overall gameplay. One important piece of equipment for the golf course is the wedge, and if you are an average golfer, well, the importance just heightens up.
It is needless to say that golfing in the long-appreciated sport, and every golfer loves comprehending the idea of choosing the high-end accessories that cranks up the players’ shots. It is pretty evident that golfer spends time buying the best putters, irons, and drivers out there, but choosing the best golf wedges set or individual wedge is just as important.
According to the latest reports, more than 25% of expert’s shots are made through wedges. The market is flooded with a diverse range of wedge models, depending on the brands, material, and overall quality. To be honest, wedges aren’t encouraged by high handicappers because they are simply scared of it. That’s to say because wedges give them a hard time.
So, here’s the good news for you because the golf manufacturers have designed the best wedges for average golfers to make golfing easier. If you are looking for a wedge with a low center of gravity, higher forgiveness, a huge face, and the correct loft and bounce angles, we have added the top choices in this article to meet the diverse needs of players. So, let’s have a look!
|Top||Cleveland Golf CBX 2 Wedge, 56 degrees Right Hand, Steel||Prime||View On Amazon|
|Callaway Golf 2018 Limited Edition Mack Daddy 4 Tactical Wedge||Prime||View On Amazon|
|Cleveland Golf Men's Smart Sole 3.0 Golf Wedge, Left Hand, 58 Degree, Graphite||Prime||View On Amazon|
|TaylorMade Golf Bigfoot Wide Sole Wedge 58 Rh S, Steel||Prime||View On Amazon|
|Cleveland Golf Women's RTX-3 Cavity Back Wedge||Prime||View On Amazon|
|Orlimar Spin Tech 60 Degree Wedge Men's Right Hand LW||Prime||View On Amazon|
|Pinemeadow Golf PGX Wedge||Prime||View On Amazon|
|LAZRUS Premium Forged Golf Wedge Set for Men||Prime||View On Amazon|
|LAZRUS Premium Forged Golf Wedge Set for Men||Prime||View On Amazon|
|Texan Classics Gun Metal Wedge (Set of 3 52, 56, 60)||Prime||View On Amazon|
1- Cleveland Golf CBX 2 Wedge – Best golf wedges ever
Wedges are essential for making precise and tour shots, and with this Cleveland Golf wedge, the entire golfing experience will be enhanced. The wedge is designed with higher availability since there is right-handed and left-handed orientation available. There are steel and graphite shafts in this wedge for a better durability rate and no compromise on performance.
Cleveland has truly outshined every other wedge with this durable construction, and that’s the prime reason that this wedge is on the top. There is a specialized wedge flex in the wedge to optimize flexibility, and with different loft configurations, the angle of the shots will be optimized. The additional features of the wedge have been added below;
- The wedge is designed with right-handed as well as left-handed orientation to ensure higher availability and accessibility for everyone
- The wedge comes with graphite and steel shaft that not only speaks positively about durability but performance as well
- The wedge is designed with a wedge flex that promises just-right flexibility in the shots
- This wedge is designed with multiple loft configurations, such as 46-degrees, 48-degrees, 50-degrees, 52-degrees, 54-degrees, 56-degrees, 58-degrees, and 60-degrees that optimize the angle of the shots
- The wedge is designed with the hollow cavity construction that distributes weight appropriately to ensure there is higher forgiveness at the impact
- There are three different yet dynamic sole grinds in the wedge that adds diversity and versatility to the shots
- The wedges are designed to optimize amazing, and enhanced feel because the insert dampens the vibrations
- There is a rote face that’s integrated with zip grooves to ensure higher control over the game while maximizing the spin
- There is feel balancing and Gelback technology that aligns the center of gravity and helps make accurate shots
This Cleveland CBX wedge is suitable for every average golfer because it allows the golfers to make accurate shots. In addition, the forgiveness level is pretty apt, given the inculcation of advanced technologies. The golfers can easily tackle the mishits and aggressive shots because it can dampen the vibrations.
2- Callaway Golf Limited Edition Mack Daddy 4 Tactical Wedge – best wedge for average golfer
Even if you have just stepped into the golfing world, you would know that Callaway is the best option for buying the irons and woods. But guess what? It is a suitable choice for wedges because this limited edition has a dreamy construction without compromising performance. This tactical wedge is designed with right and left orientation, promising accessibility for everyone.
The wedge is designed with a standard sole and crescent sole that helps optimize the shots’ shape. There are steel and wedge flex in the wedges that enhance/guarantee suitable flexibility in the shots. The wedge is available in different sizes that promise the apt angle of the shots. In the section below, we have outlined the additional benefits, so you have a clear idea of what you are investing in!
- The wedge is designed with a right-handed and left-handed orientation that promises optimum availability for every average golfer out there
- The wedge is available in different sizes, such as 52-degrees, 54-degrees, 56-degrees, 58-degrees, and 60-degrees with a 10-degree bounce angle
- The wedge is designed with X Grind Crescent sole and S Grind Standard sole that helps optimize the shape of the shots
- When it comes down to flexibility, there are steel and wedge flex options in the shaft style
- The wedge is designed with an aggressive look that looks pretty distinctive with the raw PVD finish
- There is a tactical Lamkin UTX grip in the wedge that promises premium design and higher control over the shots
- With the diverse soles, the turf conditions will be softened, and you will also be able to make shots around the green
- The non-glare finish is pretty suitable for average as well as tour players
- There is a tactical groove-in-grooved technology in the wedge that ensures the spin development
For everyone who has been looking for the best wedge that doesn’t compromise on durability, performance, and forgiveness, this Callaway wedge is your way to go. There are no cons adhered to this wedge on top of everything, and we are in awe of the grip and the control it bestows.
3- Cleveland Golf Men’s Smart Sole 3 Wedge S – best wedges for average golfer
Over the years, Cleveland has made their mark in the golf manufacturing world, making Cleveland wedges the most forgiving wedges out there. This wedge is suitable for nearly all average golfers because it is designed with dual hand orientation. As for the shaft, the wedge is designed with steel and a graphite shaft that promises performance and excellence.
Cleveland’s golf equipment is designed with wedge flex to ensure there is perfect flexibility in the shot. As for the shots’ angle, there is a 58-degrees loft angle that helps ensure the stable angle of the shots. The wedges are designed with a free balancing technology that makes sure the shots are regular. In the section below, we have added salient features of this wedge!
- The wedge is designed with left-handed as well as right-handed orientation to ensure there are no compromises on accessibility
- The wedge is integrated with graphite and steel shaft, catering to the diverse needs of the users
- The wedge is designed with a wedge flex to ensure you can incorporate just-right flexibility in the shots
- There is a 58-degree loft angle in the wedge, promising stable rise of the shots
- With the three-tiered sole in this wedge that helps golfers make shots around the green and improves the turf interaction as well
- There is a feel-balancing technology in the wedge that distributes weight around the clubface that not only enhances the feel but shot dispersion as well
- The golfer has a Lamkin grip which is an epitome of quality and excellence
Every golfer wants to get their hands on the perfect equipment out there because it directly impacts their shot and quality of playability. So, this wedge will become the ultimate staple for your golf bag for everyone out there while optimizing the performance and gaming experience.
4- TaylorMade Golf Bigfoot Wide Sole Wedge – best golf wedge
When it comes down to the wedges, every golf manufacturing company has come up with a wide range of it. However, there is no brand like TaylorMade, and they have cranked up the notch with this sole wide wedge. TaylorMade has designed with a wedge with a right-handed orientation so that every right-handed golfer can make their shots.
The wedge has been designed with a steel shaft, which makes this wedge a reasonably-priced option. Even more, there are different loft configurations available in this wedge that optimizes the angle of the shots. The wedge is open in the chrome color that settles perfectly with your golf clubs and irons. In the section below, we have added additional features of this wedge!
- This wedge has been designed with right-handed orientation, making it suitable for the average right-handed golfers out there
- The wedge is designed with a steel shaft that promises there is no compromise on reasonable prices and performance
- The wedge has been integrated with 58-degrees and 60-degrees loft angle that helps optimize the tip of the shots
- The wedge has been designed with a bigfoot wide sole that increases the sweet spot, promising the enhanced level of forgiveness
- The wedge has a deep and low center of gravity pockets which helps make the shots accurate and precise
- Thee is a hi-toe design technology in the wedge that promise more spinning level, but the launch angle will be low
- The wedge has an anti-dig leading edge which increases the bounce and versatility of the shots
- With the full-face scoring lines, the golfers will harness consistent shots even if you are making off-center shots
If you don’t care about the wedge’s color and outlook, this will be a fantastic option. This TaylorMade wedge has been designed with a steel shaft for better performance and a reasonable price factor. As far as the shots are concerned, there will be an inculcation of consistency and accuracy.
5- Cleveland Golf Women’s RTX-3 Cavity Back Wedge – best golf wedges for average golfer
Cleveland has come up with a wide range of wedges and irons. So, this cavity back wedge is a fantastic choice for all average golfer out there. The wedge is designed with dual hand orientation, making it suitable for right-handed and left-handed golfers. The wedge has been designed with a graphite shaft that promises performance and zero compromises on durability.
Cleveland has designed this wedge with a wide range of loft angles that helps make angular shots. This wedge is designed with advanced technology to ensure perfectly stable shots. It is needless to say that this wedge is an epitome of quality, premium, and excellence. In the section below, we have outlined a wide range of features that have been integrated into this wedge!
- The wedge has been designed with a left-handed as well as right-handed orientation to ensure its higher availability for everyone
- The wedge is designed with a graphite shaft that helps promise the highest standards of performance and excellence
- This wedge is designed with multiple loft configurations, such as 52-degrees, 56-degrees, and 60-degrees that shape the shots perfectly
- The wedge is integrated with patent-pending feel balancing technology that helps redistribute weight around the head which lowers the center of gravity
- The low and deep center of gravity of this wedge promise inculcation of accuracy and precision in the shots
- There are v-sole grinds in the wedge that optimizes control over the shots, without compromising on consistency
- The wedge is constructed with a leading wedge that increases the turf speed to offer crisp feel in the shots while adding bounce
- The wedge has been integrated with the third-generation RTX face that optimizes the spin performance because there is laser milling
Every golf equipment is expensive because it needs to be high-quality. This wedge is one top choice which has been designed with outstanding features to ensure consistent shots. That’s to say because there are no compromises on performance as long as you can invest such bucks (it will be worth it!).
6- Orlimar Spin Tech Wedge Men’s Right Hand SW – best wedges 2021
Orlimar is one of the top names of the golf manufacturing world. When it comes down to choosing the right wedge, choosing the right brand plays an integral role. So, this wedge by Orlimar has been designed with right-hand orientation, promising it suitable for average right-handed golfers. The wedge is designed with an optimal loft angle that optimizes the angle of the shots.
This wedge by Orlimar has the integration of advanced technology in it to ensure there are no compromises on performance or longevity. The golfers will make consistent shots with this wedge while having optimum control over the shots. The best thing about this wedge is the high center of gravity, which is also a unique point. We have also added the salient features of this wedge in the section below;
- The wedge has been designed with a right-handed orientation that settles with the needs of average right-handed golfers
- The wedge has a loft configuration of 56-degrees that’s perfect for average golfers
- The wedge is designed with a dual-milled face that enhances the surface roughness so the backspin will be maximized
- The wedge has a high center of gravity that not only reduces the flyers, but the ball flight will be predictable
- The wedge has been integrated with a weight redistribution, promising high speed of the shots
- The wedge is designed with a custom steel shaft that promises perfection of shots without going overboard with price
- There is an Orlimar custom velvet grip in the wedge that promises higher control over the shots and the exterior has a mirror finish
- The wedge is integrated with forged stainless-steel construction that optimizes control over the spin
- The golfers will be able to make consistent shots, consistent ball flight, and the scoring will be cranked up
- The wedge is designed to ensure minimal ground resistance so that you can get airborne the shots in no time
Every average golfer needs to ensure the highest standards of quality and consistency in their shots, and for that, they need the perfect wedge. So, this wedge is an apt choice with no apparent cons. On top of everything, the ball flight will be predictable, and gravity will be optimized. Last but not least, the golfers will be able to make consistent shots.
7- Pinemeadow Golf PGX Wedge – best wedge for chipping
If you’ve been identified as an average golfer with zero slices, choosing the PGX wedge is an apt choice. This wedge is the brainchild of Pinemeadow, and they have managed to outline the top-rated performance. For everyone who wants to use this wedge, well, you are in luck because it is designed with dual hand orientation.
The driver has been integrated with the clubhead, sized big enough to enhance the sweet spot. This will increase the forgiveness level. There is a headcover in the package on top of everything, which is an excellent way of protecting the clubhead. If you are a perfectionist, you can invest in this wedge. However, this information is not enough, so we have given the integration of the following features!
- The wedge has been designed with the right-handed and left-handed orientation to make sure it’s an apt choice for average golfers
- The wedge has been inculcated with the offset and anti-slice technology that helps reduce the number of mishits
- The wedge has been designed with the 460cc clubhead that is endorsed to provide the top-notch golfing experience
- The wedge has been designed with a massive sweet spot, which means that that there will be higher forgiveness in the shots
- The wedge has been designed with headcover
- The wedge has a matte black finish, topped with green and white hues as it’s meant to provide a sleek and clean outlook
- The golfers will be able to optimize the ball squaring at the impact which is the prime reason that this wedge can give the straight shots
- The headcover has been integrated to ensure there is higher protection for the clubhead when you put the wedge in the golf bag
If you’ve been looking for the wedge that’s been designed to help with mishits and lead to straight shots, this will be a fantastic choice. The wedge has a reputable brand name adhered to it, which clearly shows that you’ll have a guarantee when it comes down to acquiring suitable shots.
8- Pinemeadow Pre 3 Wedge Pack – best golf wedges
As far as the golf manufacturing is concerned, Pinemeadow has been around for a long time now with their wide range of options. Coming down to the wedges, they have come with three wedge packs for the average golfer, so there is something for everyone. The wedge is designed with a right-hand orientation, promising its credibility for the right-handed golfers.
The wedge is designed for beginners and junior golfers as well. That’s to say because this wedge is designed with lightweight features since it only weighs 125g. If you are concerned about the quality, the wedge is constructed from steel, which makes the wedge reasonably priced. For better insights, we have added the salient features of the wedge below;
- The wedge is designed with a right-hand orientation, making it an excellent option for average right-handed golfers out there
- The wedge is pretty lightweight because it weighs only 125g. this weight is bearable by the juniors as well as average golfers
- The construction of this wedge is done through steel from Apollo® which is the ultimate epitome of durability and longevity
- The wedge is designed with a wide sole at the bottom of the head. Also, it narrows down at the toe to ensure there is a higher forgiveness level
- The wedge is integrated with the U-groove technology which is the ultimate benefit for average golfers if they want to shape their shots
- As far as the exteriors are concerned, the wedge has a very sleek stainless-steel finish to ensure you look the best in the golf course
When it comes down to this wedge, it is the ultimate show-stopper designed by Pinemeadow. It wouldn’t be wrong to say that Pinemeadow has instilled their expertise into this wedge. Be it the lightweight factor or durable construction; this wedge has it all. On top of everything, there are advanced technologies, such as U-groove technology, to shape the shots better.
9- LAZRUS Premium Forged Golf Wedge Set for Men – most forgiving wedges
LAZRUS is one of the market’s greatest brands when it comes down to golf equipment and manufacturing. In the same vein, LAZRUS has come up with a premium forged wedge set designed to optimize the design of the shots. When it comes down to the hand orientation, the wedge set is available in right-handed and left-handed orientation, but it depends on the color.
The wedge set is designed in different colors. On top of everything, the wedge has different loft angles, such as 52-degrees, 56-degrees, and 60-degrees. The best thing about this wedge is the milled face because it will empower the average golfers to harness more spin. But this information is not enough to make a purchase, so we have added the salient features of the wedge set below;
- The wedge set is designed in right-handed and left-handed orientation to make sure it fits every average golfer’s needs out there. However, the hand orientation might differ with the color choice
- The wedge set is designed with different loft angles, such as 52-degrees, 56-degrees, and 60-degrees to ensure there is a proper shape alignment of the shots
- The wedges are designed with a milled face that promises the inculcation of a higher spin rate for the average golfers
- The wedge is designed with premium and excellence in mind to ensure you can make the best out of the shot
- The wedges are designed with a micro-milled face that not only adds spinning, but it enhances the consistency and control over the shots
- The golfers will be able to make sure shots against rough, fairway, and fringe with this wedge set
The number of people who have been looking for a beginner wedge set, LAZRUS, has designed this fantastic option for you. The wedge set is designed with dual hand orientation so that every average golfer can make the shots. The wedge set is designed with excellent construction, without compromising on performance level. As far as the cons are concerned, there are no downsides to this wedge set!
10- Texan Classics Gun Metal Wedge – best golf wedges for spin
Texan is the new golf manufacturing brand out there, but they have managed to impregnate the golfing world like never before. This wedge is a fantastic choice for average golfers out there. The wedge is designed to meet the needs of golfers out there with dual hand orientation. That’s to say because this wedge is for right-handed and left-handed golfers out there.
The wedge has been designed with three different loft angles, such as 52-degrees, 56-degrees, and 60-degrees that optimize the shot’s shape. There are multiple AW bounce angles in this wedge. The best thing about this wedge is the stainless-steel head with a metal finish that settles with your golf equipment. In the section below, we have outlined additional features of this wedge!
- The wedge is available in right-handed as well as left-handed orientation to make sure it is suitable for every average golfer out there
- The wedge has been designed with three different loft angles, such as 52-degrees, 56-degrees, and 60-degrees that optimize the shape of the shot
- The wedge is designed with different AW bounce angles, such as 8-degrees
- When it comes down to SW bounce angle and LW bounce angle, the wedge has 12-degrees and 9-degrees construction, respectively
- The wedge is designed with a stainless-steel head, topped with a gunmetal finish to ensure it looks perfect in the golf course
- The shaft is the vital part for every wedge, and this one has been designed with a regular flex to ensure there are no compromises on control over the shots
- The wedge is designed with an all-weather grip, promising that you can use the wedge in every weather condition
Wedges are essential for optimizing the right shots, making it even more critical for the average golfers. The wedge is designed with advanced technologies to ensure there are no compromises on performance. With a regular flex, you will be able to instill flexibility in your shots without disturbing the shots’ shape. However, this shaft can be expensive, so get some bucks ready!
Best Wedges For Average Golfer – Buying Guide
Everyone knows that golf is an expensive sports field out there, which means you might need to invest some extra bucks in buying the golf equipment. Be it the top brands or the new ones; the performance cannot be compromised. For optimizing the performance, you need to choose the right wedge out there. This buying guide has added multiple factors that you need to consider while buying a wedge. Have a look!
The loft is designed as the angle of the clubface that develops a connection to the pole. With a higher loft angle in the club, the ball dispatch will be increased as well. On the other hand, if the distant past standard lofts are concerned, there are different angles and degrees. For instance, the wedges are designed with PW (48), AW (52), SW (56), and LW (60).
Some golf manufacturing brands design a wide range of hurl wedges because they want to lob the 64-degree angle. With this being said, it is pretty clear that choosing the right loft for your wedge can be confusing. The rule of thumb is to ensure that the gaps among wedges are consistent. That’s to say, because you should carry at least four wedges in your golf bag, and the hole should be consistent.
It is essential to keep more than one wedge in the golf bag because it is necessary once the game improves. With these wedges, you will be able to make good scores. When it comes down to four wedges, you need a pitching wedge, lob wedge, sand wedge, and a gap wedge. This is important because each of them serves a different purpose.
Bounce is defined as the connection point between the club’s sole and the clubface. The bounce of the wedge enables the golfers to make shots through the sand, but it will also save your turf shots. If you are a golfer who needs to keep the ball clear, you need to choose the bounce angle, ranging from four-degrees to six-degrees.
However, if you like to play your golfing shots on the hard sand and firm grass, you need to increase the bounce angle and degree. When it comes down to the mid bounce wedges, the angles range from 7-degrees to 10-degrees. The mid bounce wedges are usually adaptable because they tend to develop better swing type while enhancing the scope of conditions.
On the other hand, if the bounce point ranges higher than the 10-degrees, it will be known as the high bob. The high bobs are perfect if you want to play your shots in mild fairways and fine sand. The wedges with a proper bounce are suitable to make golfing shots for the high-handicappers. This is the prime reason that people call wedges the versatile sole grinds.
The wedges have been around for a long time, but there is a new feature known as a grind when it comes down to the advanced wedges. Through Grind, the state is captured towards the sole of the sole. Usually, the golfers would scrap off the specific areas of the sole to harness the pound. The adjusted sole is better for the golfers who want to open and close the face without compromising.
It is needless to say that choosing the right Grind will enhance the wedge position, and rundown will be positively impacted. In the section below, we have added a wide range of grind options that define the wedges!
- L-Grind – this is the suitable choice for people who need to make shots in the firm environment and if they need to sweep the ball from the ground
- M-Grind – this is the optimal choice for people who are looking for higher playability and struggle with moderate swing
- K-Grind is a suitable choice for golfers who play their shots on soft or out of the sand. Also, if you tend to make shots from steeps, K-Grind is the right choice
- C-Grind – this is the suitable choice for golfers that sweep the ball from the firm golf course
- S-Grind – if you want to lower the leading edge and make solid shots with the open-face club, this is the ultimate choice
- X-Grind – this Grind is the right choice for golfers who struggle with a steep attack angle
- Standard Grind – with this Grind, the golfers with moderate swing plane can use this Grind
- Complete Grind – this Grind is optimal for golfers who have a steep swing path with soft course
The grinds usually differ with the brand, but they are suitable to address steep swing, shallow swing, and moderate swing. On the other hand, if you don’t know about the swing, you need to outline information through divots. With deep divots, you have a steep angle, but the swing path will be external with shallow divots.
It doesn’t matter which wedge or club you are using; they have grooves instilled in them. These grooves are suitable to improve the ball grip on contact. However, with a better grip on the ball, the roll will be upped to the face. That’s to say, because the friction between the ball and grooves will lead to spinning. On the other hand, if there are improper grooves, the ball will roll off the back without a spin.
When it comes down to the spin, the edge’s groove volume and sharpness will outline the spin. It is advised that you keep the grooves sharp to ensure the highest standards of performance.
Whenever it comes down to the wedges, they are available in different finishes. At this point, we would like to burst your bubble because the finish is not only about the outlook. The wedge finish will directly impact the performance of the wedge. For instance, the jet black finish will lead to glare reduction caused by the sunlight. If you opt for other finishes, they will rust and lead to a better feel in the shots.
- Raw finish – this feel is designed to offer a responsive feel. The best thing about natural finish is that it will not rust and there will be no scratching
- Chrome Finish – this finish will case sun glaring. However, the responsiveness of the wedges will be positively influenced by a chrome finish
- Matte Finish – this finish will not create reflection, which means there will be no distractions while you play. The matte finish tends to be thick, which means there can be a reduction in feel and response.
According to the Cleveland Golf research, more than 80% of the golfer’s user depress back wedges. This popularity is because of a structure that pushes the weight positions to the head outskirts. This weight repositioning will make better shot dispatching, and sympathy will be instilled into the clubs. With this being said, it is pretty clear that mishits will be catered to.
Usually, the blades are constructed from the carbon steel squares. These blades are generally molded through machines. However, some golf equipment manufacturers will plate the edges with chrome. If there is no chroming, the blades will be known as muscle-back wedges. That’s to say because the club head will have a strong back, but the empty pit back will be eliminated. When it comes down to the low handicappers, they tend to use cutting edge wedges and irons. However, they tend to harness a higher power scale with cavity backs.
Types of Wedges
When it comes down to the wedges, it is pretty clear that they play a crucial role in shaping the shots and optimizing the golf shots’ performance. But over time, different types of wedges have been designed by the golf equipment manufacturers to meet the demands and preferences of different skill levels. So, in the section below, we have outlined different types of wedges!
The pitching wedges are usually suitable for the golfers that need to harness the full swing shots. Even more, the pitching wedges are qualified to make running shots even if there are bumps around the green. The pitching wedge is designed with a loft angle, ranging from 42-degrees to 46-degrees.
These wedges are sometimes known as the approach wedges. This wedge’s prime function is to build in the gap between the sand wedge and a pitching wedge. The gap wedges tend to have a loft angle, ranging from 48-degrees to 54-degrees.
The sand wedges are only suitable if you want to make shots out of the bunker. It is needless to say that sand wedges are versatile because they can be worked up as the putters. As for the loft angle, the loft angle of sand wedges ranges from 54-degrees to 58-degrees.
The lob wedges are designed for golfers who need a high loft angle. When it comes down to the forgiveness level, this wedge has the lowest level of forgiveness. These lob wedges are suitable for golfers who need to stop the ball quickly. The loft angle of the lob wedges ranges from 58-degrees to 62-degrees. There are some lob wedges with 64-degrees, but they aren’t easily found.
For every beginner looking for a wedge to add to their golf bag, it is better that you check the putter’s angle. For instance, if the putter has an angle ranging from41-degrees to 46-degrees, you need to start with the pitching wedge.
When you are researching the drivers and irons, the forgiveness level can be easily outlined. That’s to say because you will be able to see a higher forgiveness level if there is a wide sole, large head, and an offset. This will lead to a higher forgiveness rate. However, when you are talking about the wedges, you need to outline the forgiveness, but it can be difficult.
If you want to look for a forgiving wedge, it is designed with a medium bounce. The medium bounce, topped with a sole grind, will optimize the chips. Also, the cavity back wedge will have a higher forgiveness level. Previously, blade wedges were most forgiving, but the trends have now changed. The cavity back irons will have a low center of gravity that eases the airborne of the shots.
If you want to use a wedge, you need to choose the right shaft. When it comes down to the wedges, there is a standard steel wedge flex. However, this can be pretty frustrating for beginners and average golfers because they cannot harness the short games. This is because they need to outline if they are using graphite shafts in irons, can they shift to steel shafts for the wedges?
It doesn’t matter what you will answer, but it will directly impact the shots and swing speed. If you tend to struggle with low swing speed, you need to shift to graphite shafts. On the other hand, if you have a higher swing speed, you can opt for the steel shafts. If there are short pitches and chips, there will be no significant difference between steel shaft or graphite shaft, inclusive of performance.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Wedges Should An Average Golfer Use?
You can put a 48 or 50 degrees gap wedge and a 58 or 60 degrees lob wedge. Also, you should use a 54 to 56 degrees sand wedge. It is better to get fitted for your wedges to improve your game.
2. How Many Wedges Should I Use?
Many golfers use three to four wedges. If you are carrying a fairway wood or iron in your bag, you should also put a wedge in your bag. Extra wedges will give you an opportunity to attack in various situations and still acquire the desired outcomes.
3. What Is The Handicap Of An Average Golfer?
The handicap of a male average golfer is 16.1 and a female average golfer is 28. It means you will hit approximately 100 on a par 72 course. If you record your handicap, your average score is 91. However, it is not accurate because many folks don’t record their handicap.
If you do, you are pretty serious about your game and there are higher chances that you practice and play frequently. That’s why; your handicap number is lower. People who play occasionally don’t keep a track of their handicap, but if they did, they will probably score 100.
4. I Am A Beginner, How Many Wedges Should I Put In My Bag?
If you are a beginner or high handicapper, two wedges are enough for you. You can put a standard pitching wedge and sand wedge with 10 degrees of bounce. Almost all iron sets have a pitching wedge. These irons have a loft of 45 degrees, and they are considered the most versatile clubs.
Additionally, you can get yourself a 54 or 58 degrees sand wedge that is typically used for striking out of the sand. It has extra bounce than other wedges, so it works better for the sand.
5. What Factors Make A Wedge Forgiving?
Forgiving wedges have a wide sole, low CG, and additional bounce. If you want to obtain a forgiving wedge, give a shot to cavity-backed wedges instead of blade-style wedges.
6. Is The Bounce On The Wedge Useful?
Bounce is intended to be your friend. It is present on the club’s sole and helps you get through the grass and launch the ball higher into the air. If you have a habit of digging the club into the turf without launching the ball into the air, you should use a wedge with extra bounce because it will help you obtain steady outcomes.
7. What Bounce Degree Is Suitable For Beginners?
The ideal bounce degree for high-handicappers and newbies is 10 or higher. The more bounce prevents the wedge from digging into the grass and make chipping easier. The most important wedge for beginners is the sand wedge as it offers flexibility and is the easiest to hit wedge. It is famous for having more bounce than other wedges. If you hit chunky shots, then a wedge with more bounce is essential for you. Fat shots are the biggest problem of many average golfers.
8. What Is The Perfect Time To Utilize Each Wedge?
The use of a wedge depends on various factors such as distance to the hole, ground firmness, and what’s in front of you. Here are some useful bits of advice for what wedge you should use and when.
- If you want to play sand shots, you need a sand wedge because it has an extra bounce that prevents the clubs from digging deeper into the turf. Also, it raises the ball nicely out of the trap.
- If you are going to play on firm ground, you need to use a wedge with less bounce. If you use a sand wedge on firm ground, you will tend to hit numerous topped shots.
- To play on soft ground, you need a wedge with extra bounce. The additional bounce will take less of a divot and your club will bounce off the ground.
- If you intend to launch the ball higher into the air, you need a higher lofted club.
- A pitching or gap wedge can help you play low pitch shots efficiently. You can also rely on the sand wedge or lob wedge, but they are not easier to hit for most golfers.
9. Which Shots Can I Play With A Wedge?
You can use the wedge for playing five types of shots: lob, pitch, chip, sand, and approach. If you want to hit the green, it will be called an approach shot. If you want your ball to fly and reach as far as possible, you are playing lob shots. When you use a less than full swing and cover a distance of only 50 yards, it is called the pitch shot. Pitch generates more precision compared to a full shot. When the ball covers a short distance and rolls near the hole after landing, it is called the chip shot. They are played around or near the green. Sand shots are also known as bunker shots. Golfers play to take their ball out of the sand.
10. What Are The Perks Of Using A Sand Wedge?
- Have more bounce degrees
- Have a heavy head
- More flexible and versatile
- Angled sole permits the wedge to bounce off the sand
11. How far do you need to hit the wedges?
Men and women will influence the average distance coverage and far-off factor. Usually, the distance will be impacted by the type of wedge as well.
12. How to choose the sand wedge?
When you are trying to choose the right wedge, you need to ensure that you consider multiple factors. These factors include grooves, finish, grind, loft, shaft, and bounce.
14. Which wedges should you carry?
It doesn’t matter if you are a beginner or an average golfer, your golf bag should have a pitching wedge, approach wedge, lob wedge, and a sand wedge. On the other hand, if you have no prior experience, you need to start with a sand wedge and pitching wedge.
15. Which wedges create the highest spin rate?
The generation of spin rate differs with a loft angle and grooves. However, the general rule of thumb is that the wedges with a higher loft angle will lead to a better spin rate. Usually, the golfers can achieve the highest spin rate with a lob wedge.
The Bottom Line
Choosing the right wedge is essential for every average golfer because they need the golf bag’s right equipment. With this article, we have added a wide range of wedges suitable for average golfers that meet and exceed their expectations. With the buying guide and FAQs, you will be able to cater to your questions and make an informed choice!