Golfers with handicaps of 18 or higher are in the minority, but there is no reason to be discouraged. Golfing can still be an enjoyable and challenging sport even if you don’t have many skills.
This blog post will explore the best golf irons for high handicappers that will help you enjoy your game more while improving your skills.
While many people think that clubs with heavy heads are the way to go for low handicaps, they’re not necessary at all! The truth is that lighter-weight clubs work better for beginners because they allow them to swing easier without having too much power behind their swings.
Whenever one has to categorize the golfers, the high handicappers and beginners are often considered in the same category. This is because beginners and high handicappers have multiple things in common, and their demands from the irons are similar as well. For instance, both of them need forgiveness and consistency in their shots.
This blog post provides a complete buying guide about how to select the best golf irons for high handicappers as well as; after extensive research, we have also compiled the top ten golf irons for high handicappers. Let’s start it;
List of 10 Best Golf Irons for High Handicapper
|Top||P790 4-P/Rh S (Set of 7 total clubs: 4-PW, Right Hand, Stiff Flex)||Check Price|
|Wilson Staff Golf D7 Graphite Iron Set, Men's Right Hand, Regular Flex 5-PW, GW||Check Price|
|Callaway X HOT Iron Set 4-9, PW, AW (8-piece), Steel, Left-Handed, Stiff Flex||Check Price|
|TaylorMade SIM MAX Irons, Graphite Shaft, Fujikura Ventus Blue, 4-PW, AW, Right Hand, Regular Flex||Check Price|
|Wilson Staff D200 Iron Set 4-GW Wilson Super Light 95 Steel Steel Uniflex Right Handed 38.0in||Check Price|
|Callaway Golf 2020 Mavrik Max Iron Set (Right Hand, Steel, Regular, 5 Iron - PW, SW)||Check Price|
|2018 Cobra King F8 One Length Iron Set (Set of 6 total clubs, Men's, Right Hand, Steel, Stiff Flex, 5-GW)||Check Price|
|Callaway Golf 2018 Men's Rogue X Iron Set, Right Hand, Stiff, 5-9 Iron, PW, AW, KBS Max Steel, 90G||Check Price|
|Callaway 2019 Apex 3 Iron, Left Handed, Graphite, Light||Check Price|
1- TaylorMade Golf P790 Iron Set – Best Iron golf Set
The Taylor Made Golf P790 Iron Set offers the golfer the best of everything. These Irons are perfect for hitting greens in play with full power and accuracy at blazing speeds!
The forged hollow body construction of these irons sets delivers improved feel and stability, while tungsten weighting lowers the center of gravity and allowing golfers to hit within inches on precision shots across long distances.
This iron set contains amazing technology that is known as convenient Progressive ICT (incremental cavity tech), which gives confident golfers more control over trajectory release point height adjustability.
For those golfers who want to take their game out past 600 yards without sacrificing consistency or forgiveness experience, steel clubs offer more progressive.
So, let’s have a look at the features;
- The entire iron set has been designed with right-handed as well as left-handed orientation, so people can choose the orientation according to how they play their shots.
- The iron has been integrated with multiple irons, and the shafts are either constructed from steel or graphite, catering to the needs of every golfer.
- The iron set has been designed with regular, senior, stiff, and extra stiff flex to ensure everyone is playing according to their preferences.
- The irons have been designed with different configurations, such as 4-PW, AW, 3-PW, 4-PW, 5-PW, and 5-PW, AW.
- The irons have a forged hollow body construction, which means there is a thin wrap around the face to ensure the higher forgiveness level and optimal distance coverage.
- There is a soft carbon steel body construction.
- There is a speed foam in this iron set because the ultralight urethane has been injected inside the clubhead to ensure the design limits are met, which will not only enhance the feel but pose an improvement in the face speed as well.
- The iron set has a low profile tungsten weighting to ensure the center of gravity is pushed down that promises the higher launch.
- There is a thru slot speed pocket design in the iron set, which will enhance the ball speed, and if you make the low face shots, the forgiveness level will be higher.
- The iron has been designed with the progressive I.C.T, which is the name of inverted cone technology that’s responsible for protecting the off-center ball speed, and the accuracy of the game will be enhanced significantly.
Whenever people are investing in something, they want to make sure that they are investing in a perfect product. So, if you follow a similar mantra, this TaylorMade iron set is an apt choice because even after extensive testing, we couldn’t find a single con.
2- Wilson Staff Golf Men’s D7 Irons – best irons for high handicappers 2021
This iron set has been designed with a dual hand orientation to ensure every golfer can make the shots. For those golfers who are looking to improve their distance and accuracy, this set of irons might be just what he needs.
This set contains a progressive power hole design that utilizes weighting from heel to toe for maximum distance and a thin face so you can get an accurate shot every time.
These are also designed with Power Holes technology to save space around the clubhead to let you hit it farther than ever before! The irons and clubs in this set are designed with steel with graphite construction for a perfect golfing experience without compromising on performance.
We have outlined a wide range of features of this set in the section below!
- The iron set has been designed with the right-handed and left-handed orientation to make sure golfers can choose the hand orientation that suits them
- The iron set has been integrated with the steel and graphite shaft construction to ensure there are zero compromises on durability and performance
- When it comes down to flex, the iron set has been designed with the regular, senior, and stiff options, promising optimal flexibility in the shots
- The iron set has been designed with the 5-PW, GW, promising that there is optimal loft configuration in the shots
- There are progressive power holes in the long irons in the set of three rows to ensure there is maximum distance coverage
- The short irons are designed with less number of power holes which is optimal for maximizing the precision and feel, topped with sufficient weighting
- There is an ultra-thin face with a hot and responsive design, leading to long and high-feel shots
- The irons have been designed with the clean topline and straight lines to ensure improved weighting
- There is a super game improvement technology in the irons to ensure it is highly combined and content performance in the shots
- The irons have been designed with the highest MOI value to ensure straight and long-distance coverage
- The power holes have been added to the sole of the club that helps maximize distance
Golf is an expensive sport, and if you are looking for a specialized iron set for the high handicappers, this Wilson set is a suitable choice. This means that there are no compromises on performance and quality as long as you are ready to invest a higher dollar value.
3- Callaway X HOT Iron Set – Best Golf Irons for High Handicapper
The Callaway X HOT Iron Set is armed with ultra-modern technology that’s long, fast, accurate, and most importantly, forgiving.
It contains super shaft material made of steel and lightweight heads with hollow titanium cladding for maximum velocity, so you’re sure to hit the ball with true power without hoping any errant shots into swamps or let it drift off greens.
The iron set has been designed to offer the highest level of forgiveness, given the fact that the club head has a huge sweet spot. In addition, the clubhead speed will be faster, and you will be able to make straight and long shots.
In the section below, we have outlined the features of the Callaway X Hot Iron Set, so have a look!
- The iron set has been designed with dual hand orientation because this iron set is available in right-handed as well as a left-handed version
- The irons have been designed with steel and graphite shaft construction to ensure golfers are harnessing the ultimate durability and swing
- While we are at the subject, the irons have been designed with regular, ladies, and stiff flex to ensure there is perfect flexibility in the shots
- The iron set has been designed with the 4-9, PW, AW, 9, PW, AW, and 5-9, PW, SW to ensure there is perfect loft configuration available according to your needs and demands
- The irons are integrated with the content features that ensure there is a higher forgiveness level in the shots
- The golfers will be able to make long and straight shots while ensuring the faster clubhead speed
- The higher forgiveness level of this iron set has been designed given the huge clubhead, and the sweet spot is huge as well
- The iron set has been inculcated with features to ensure there is higher distance coverage and the ball speed is improved significantly
- The iron set is the perfect opportunity to ensure there is a satisfying sound in the shots and there is the perfect feel
Whenever the high handicapper needs to optimize the higher distance coverage and optimal forgiveness level in the shots, they need to choose the right iron set. For all such golfers, this iron set is a suitable choice designed by Callaway; however, you will need to be considerate about the grip because it tends to slip and tear.
4- TaylorMade SIM MAX Irons – best golf irons for high handicappers
TaylorMade SIM MAX Irons are designed with Speed Bridge technology to speed up the clubface, maximizing face flexibility.
They have inverted cone technology on the rear of the iron, specially designed for beginners who want full control of shots without too much power.
The added D-shaped profile helps golfers hit fewer pins and work more manageable approaches on every hole they play.
There are eight loft configurations in the iron, so no one has to compromise on the angle of the shots. The irons are integrated with the following features, have a look!
- The golf iron set has been designed with the right-handed and left-handed orientation to make sure everyone can make the shots
- The golf iron set has been designed with the steel and graphite shaft construction, promising that everyone can harness the optimal durability levels
- There is regular, stiff, and senior flex in this iron set, which makes it sufficient to comply with the flexibility standards
- This golf iron set has been designed with different loft configurations, such as 5-PW, AW, 4-PW, 4-PW, AW, and 5-PW, AW, SW
- There is a revolutionary speed bridge technology in the iron set that strategically positions the topline which ensures optimal distance coverage
- There is a highly visible improvement in the sound and feel of the shots, in addition to improvement in the forgiveness level
- There is an ECHO damping system in this iron set to ensure the vibrations are eliminated, given the inculcation of energy channeling geometry
- The iron set is designed to ensure there is no compromise on the face flexibility that optimized better feel
- There is a patented TaylorMade speed pocket technology to ensure there is a higher forgiveness level and the ball speed will be increased
- There is a higher forgiveness level in the low face strikes
- There is an ultra-thin face, topped with the progressive inverted cone technology that increases the ball speed
- There is an enhanced sweet spot in this iron set that promises straight ball flight
- The ICT technology is positioned on the iron that reduces the side spins when it comes to the mishits, and the ball flight will be straight as well
For everyone who has been looking for a suitable golf iron set to assist them in the golf course as a high handicapper, this will be an apt choice. However, the edges of the clubhead might tint off, which can pose a negative impact on the forgiveness level.
5- Wilson Staff Men’s D200 Irons – best irons for high handicapper
Get out and play golf this fall with these excellent Wilson Staff D200 Irons. These irons are uniflex steel technology which is perfect for beginners or anyone who wants to improve their game!
This club set contains shafts that are made of alloy steel and will feel light, so you can swing without strain even if your grip doesn’t feel strong enough at first. The iron has also been designed with a cavity back head design, promising precise and straight shots.
When you purchase the irons, there are headcovers in the irons, promising zero damages to the clubhead.
In the section below, we have outlined the amazing features of this iron!
- The golf iron set has been designed with the right-hand orientation to ensure the right-handed golfers can make their shots
- The iron has been designed with the speed sole technology that promises there is optimally thin transition ranging from face to sole
- The thin face and transition will create a higher CT value while you are playing the mid 230s
- There is a driver-like face in this iron set which increases the responsiveness, and the distance coverage will enhance
- There is a higher ball speed in this iron set, promising optimal compatibility in the shots
- The iron set has been designed with the cavity back head design that leads to straight and precise shots
- The lie angle is apt enough to ensure there are zero compromises on the straightness of the shots and the accuracy is amazing as well
- There are offset swing design in this iron set to ensure you can reduce the mishits
- The irons set has been designed with a huge clubhead that increases the sweet spot, leading to higher forgiveness level
- The iron set comes with the golf bag as well, so you can pack the irons and clubs in one place as long as you are done with the shots
- The headcovers are included in the set to ensure the clubheads remain safe and protected
- There is a graphite shaft construction in this iron set that promises optimal durability
The golfers are always on the quest to find the perfect golf iron set because it deeply impacts their game and golfing experience. For all such golfers, this iron set is an apt choice that has been designed to amp up the shots for high handicappers. However, this iron set is only available for right-handed players, so do consider that.
6- Callaway Golf 2020 Mavrik Max Iron Set – High Handicap Iron Set
You want to give your game the competitive edge it needs, but you also want irons that are easy to use. Callaway Golf 2020 Mavrik Max Iron Sets do both of these things. There is the inculcation of artificial intelligence in the iron, so you can optimize the shot speed and shape.
These irons feature a patented 360 Face Cup for unmatched accuracy and consistency and tungsten-infused weights for making perfect strike every time with optimum launch angles to help you fly high over obstacles effortlessly.
The PURE Black satin finish is guaranteed not to tarnish or rust, so you can enjoy them all day long!
In the section below, we have outlined the important features of the iron set!
- The iron set has been designed with a right-handed and left-handed orientation to ensure there is optimal availability for everyone
- The iron set is integrated with the graphite and steel shaft construction to ensure there are zero compromises on the durability and performance
- This Callaway golf iron set has been inculcated with different flex options, such as light, regular, and stiff which promises optimal flexibility in the shots
- When it comes down to the loft configurations, there are multiple options inclusive of 4 Iron – PW, AW, 4 Iron – PW, AW, SW, 4 Iron – PW, SW, 4 iron – PW, 5 Iron – PW, 5 Iron – PW, AW, 5 Iron – PW, AW, SW, 5 Iron – PW, SW, 6 Iron – PW, 6 Iron – PW, AW, 6 Iron – PW, AW, SW, 6 Iron – PW, SW, and 8 iron – PW, AW, SW
- The golf iron set has been designed with the artificial intelligence features which will lead to enhanced ball speed
- There is 360 face cup technology in the iron that releases the optimal flex at the impact
- The golf iron set has been designed with the sophisticated face architecture which means that spin robustness has increased and the ball speed has an optimal boost in the speed
- There is a custom tungsten infused weight in every iron that strategically positions the center of gravity, leading to the highest standards of precision
- The iron has been designed to optimize the launch of the shots, and the ball flight will be amped up as well
For every golfer out there, Callaway is an amazing brand that is designed to offer golf clubs that meet the demand of the players according to their skill level. So, for all the golfers looking for a perfect iron set, this one has been designed literally with zero downsides.
7- 2018 Cobra Golf Men’s King F8 One Length – iron sets for high handicappers
The king of the golf world again with its finalized released in 2018. The King offers superior performance for an unprecedented transition into higher handicaps.
The sleek black finish of the Cobra F8 One Length Iron Set will impress both casual and professional golf courses.
The forged VFT helps with distance, accuracy, and forgiveness. It also features Carbon feel technology that provides you with a luxe experience and thanks to its durable feel on contact.
It offers ECFLO progressive set technology for customizable yardages. So, the golfers will be able to optimize consistency and performance in their shots.
In the section below, we have outlined additional features of the irons!
- The golf iron set has been designed with the right-handed as well as left-handed orientation to make sure every golfer and high handicapper can play their shots
- The golf iron set has a combination of steel and graphite shaft construction because it meets the needs of every golfer out there
- The golf iron set has been designed with the stiff, regular, and lite flex, promising that there is sufficient flexibility in the shots
- This iron set is the inculcation of diversity which is the prime reason that there is a 5-GW loft configuration in this iron
- There are different weighting and length features in the iron set to ensure there is optimal consistency in the trajectory and the distance coverage is apt
- There is a perfect combination of thickness and thin level to ensure the active sweet spot has enhanced, leading to better ball speed
- There is a higher launch in the shots while increasing the ball speed
- There is a carbon feel technology in the irons, topped with the carbon fiber medallion which is responsible for improving the feel and sound of the shots
- The iron set has been designed with the TECFLO progressive set technology in the iron set which empowers the golfers to make customized performance
- There are grooves on the irons that are designed to reduce the spin rate, and there are u-grooves on the 7-PW to ensure there is optimized spin
- There are wedge-spaced grooves on the irons that are designed to deliver higher spin value for the shots while you are playing in the greens
Every golfer has been looking for a suitable golf iron set that has become the epitome of excellence. However, you need to acknowledge the fact that it will cost a fortune. So, if you are ready to send such fortune on a golf iron set as a high handicapper, this Cobra One Length iron set is a suitable choice.
8- Callaway Golf 2018 Men’s Rogue X – Best Individual Iron
The Callaway Golf’s 2018 Men’s Rogue X is a game-changing iron set that features everything you’re looking for in your first set of clubs at affordable prices.
The 360 Face Cup + VFT will make it easier to hit the sweet spot of the clubface with greater frequency giving you better ball speed (which is more important than distance).
The MIM’d Internal Standing Wave of the iron set gives increased accuracy that is essential at the time of playing challenging shots like long putts or chipping out of traps.
You’ll never feel frustrated with our Urethane Microspheres because these soft, buttery groupings will provide a great feeling and help improve your game on all levels!
The features of these individual irons have been added below;
- The individual iron has been designed with right-handed as well as left-handed orientation to make sure every golfer can make the shots.
- The iron has been designed with different shaft constructions, such as Synergy 60G and KBS Max 90 Steel, for better precision and accuracy.
- The iron has been integrated with the regular, stiff, and senior flex configurations to ensure there is optimal flexibility in the shots.
- When it comes down to the loft configurations, the iron has multiple choices, such as 6 Iron, 7 Iron, AW, GW, and PW
- The iron has been integrated with the 360 face cup technology, promising that people can increase the ball speed.
- There is variable face thickness technology in the iron that increases the face size for better speed.
- There is an internal standing wave in the iron to ensure there is higher control over the shots, and the flights are optimal.
- The iron has been integrated with the urethane microsphere to ensure there is improved feel in the shots.
- The iron has been designed to ensure higher distance coverage.
- The iron has a long length and lightweight configuration that pushes back the center of gravity, which not only optimizes the high launch but long carries as well.
- The face cup of the iron has been designed with a shallow design and flexible rim that releases a positive impact even on the mishits.
- There is tungsten weighting in the iron that positions the center of gravity with utter precision that not only promotes loft control, but the launch will be optimal as well.
To all the people who have been using the golf irons for a long time, big brand names have been the ultimate choice for them. This is because brand names offer ultimate performance and warranty. Also, if you’ve been eyeing a high-end individual iron, this Callaway iron will be an apt choice for you.
9- Callaway Golf 2019 Apex Individual Iron – best golf irons for high handicapper
This Callaway individual iron is an apt choice that is designed to help high handicappers. The iron is a perfect option for everyone because there is a dual-hand orientation.
It has a forged 1025 mild carbon steel body that is hardened and thinned for durability and thinner edges to produce more ball speed. This iron comes with 360 Face Cup technology, which makes it easier to hit cleanly even on off-center hits by creating a larger strike zone around the club head’s face.
VFT Face technology promotes faster ball speeds, straighter shots, and increased forgiveness all at once!
This top-of-the-line 2019 model features multi-material construction, lightweight design, fast face thickness progression from thin to thick edge rails for maximum trajectory control. The apex slot position delivers higher trajectories without adjusting loft settings.
Let’s explore some great features of this iron;
- This individual iron has been designed with the right-handed and left-handed orientation to ensure every golfer can use the iron for better performance
- The iron is usually designed with the graphite or steel shafts, but this individual iron is available with both options
- For the purpose of adding flex to the shots and angles, this iron is integrated with the light, stiff, and regular options
- When it comes down to the loft configuration, this individual iron has been designed with the options, such as 3 iron, 4 iron, 5 iron, 6 iron, 7 iron, 8 iron, and 9 iron and all these irons are available with AW, SW, and PW configuration
- This individual iron has been designed as the forged iron which is an apt choice for the players who need to ensure higher distance coverage
- There is extremely soft feel in this iron because it is constructed with 1025 mild carbon steel body
- This forged individual iron has been integrated with the urethane microspheres
- The iron has been integrated with 360 face cup technology that offers consistent distance coverage, and the ball speed is optimal
- The VFT technology will ensure that spin will be controlled and the shots will be designed as the progressive ones
- The iron has tungsten-infused construction in addition to multiple materials, which helps locate the center of gravity that optimizes the ball flight and provides control over the shots. Also, the launch will be optimized, and the pinpoint control is perfect as well
- The iron has been designed with a mild carbon steel body to ensure there is perfect sound and feel in the shots
- The urethane microsphere has been designed with multiple air pockets to ensure all the vibration has been controlled and contained
Whenever people are trying to infuse a high-performance rate and optimal launch in the shots, it is essential to note that golf iron will play an integral role. So, this Callaway iron is the perfect choice for all golfers who have been looking for an extensive performance scale and reduction in the number of mishits.
Best Golf Irons for High Handicapper
There is no doubt in saying that golf is an expensive sport, and people will need to ensure the highest standards of playability in the game. This is because golf might seem easy and convenient, but there is high competition on the golf course. With this being said, golfers need to invest in correct golf iron and clubs for optimizing the shots and performance.
However, investing in good-quality clubs and irons might cost a fortune if you don’t want any adverse impact on the performance and shots. This is primarily because the expensive golf irons will provide value for the money. In addition, if you opt for a cheap golf iron, it will reduce the effectiveness and playability of the shots.
Investing in cheap iron will be more expensive because you will have to buy the irons again and again. This means that whichever iron you are investing in needs to provide value for the money. However, there are multiple factors that you need to consider while choosing golf irons. This buying guide will cover all such important factors, so have a look and do consider them while buying the golf irons.
Whenever you are buying the irons for the high handicappers, you will have two choices when it comes down to the shafts. The first one is steel and the second one is graphite. Graphite is one of the popular choices out there, which is apt for hybrids as well as drivers. However, the graphite shafts of irons are highly lightweight.
On the other hand, steel shafts are better than graphite shafts, which will add weight. In addition, such heavy weight will improve the feel of the iron and shots. When it comes down to graphite shafts, it helps in improving the distance coverage, and the golfers struggling with low swing speed are advised to use the graphite shafts.
This is because the graphite shafts will help in increasing the swing speed, and in the same vein, the distance coverage will be higher as well. On the other hand, steel shafts are ideal for golfers because they offer regular flex. It is needless to say that shaft flex plays an essential role in covering distance and mph value. In the section below, we have added information about different flex speeds and distance coverage, based on the shaft flex, inclusive of;
- X Flex – This flex is available in 6 irons and has the ability to attain swing speed of around 90mph, and the distance coverage will be 175 yards
- Stiff Flex – This flex will offer the swing speed ranging from 80mph to 90mph, and the distance coverage will range from 155 yards to 175 yards
- Regular Flex – This will offer the swing speed ranging from 70mph to 80mph, and the distance coverage will range from 130 yards to 155 yards
- A Flex – This will offer the swing speed ranging from 60mph to 70mph, and the distance coverage will be 100 yards to 130 yards
- L Flex – The swing speed will be less than 60 mph, and the distance coverage will be reduced under 100 yards as well
While choosing the shaft flex, you need to ensure that you talk to the fitters or gain professional advice, promising that you make a suitable choice while buying the equipment.
Best Golf Irons for High Handicapper – Club Head Design
While choosing the iron, you need to be highly conscious about the clubhead design because it will directly impact the shots and their shape. Firstly, there is a muscle back blade iron, which is extensively used by golfers. In addition, these muscle back blade irons are usually used by low handicappers or professional players. Secondly, there is cavity back irons that have been designed to ensure the highest level of forgiveness. In the section below, we have outlined different clubhead designs in detail;
1. Cavity Back
The cavity iron back irons are designed to be forgiving because the back of the golf club head has been pushed to the back, and the weight is removed with hollow. This happens from behind the center of the clubface. But it will increase the mass around the perimeter for optimizing the physical outlook and the perimeter weighting. These cavity back irons are designed with easy-to-hit features to ensure there is higher forgiveness in the shots.
2. Over sized Cavity Back
The oversized cavity back irons and the club heads are designed with easy-to-hit options to ensure the head surface is huge. In addition, the weight will be optimized around the perimeter. In addition, the head is usually forgiving, and the off-center hits are designed for a straight and long shot.
3. Muscle Back
These irons are designed to show full back on the iron, and they offer higher feedback from the shots and the center of the clubface, leading to higher consistency in the shots. However, the distance coverage might be adversely impacted. Also, the muscle-back irons are designed with a high center of gravity to ensure there is a low trajectory.
4. Blade Irons
The blade irons are designed with the weight behind the iron’s middle. This will lead to higher forgiveness, and the mishits will reduce as well. The impact will be soft, and the sweet spot will be struck.
5. Cast Head
Casting is defined as the process of pushing the molten metal into the mold for developing the golf club head. However, the cast heads tend to be cheap as compared to the forged heads. In addition, they are easy to handle and are pretty soft as well. Also, if the head is hard, the ball speed will be faster.
6. Forged Head
The forged heads are designed and developed with soft metal, and it was beaten to an extensive extent for shaping it up. The forged iron heads will offer a soft feel on the hits, and they will also offer higher control over the shots. The low handicappers tend to use the forged club heads because it does the deed for them.
7. Perimeter Weighting
When it comes down to the cavity back irons, these are integrated with the perimeter weighting. The cavity back iron means that the back of the muscle of the iron is hollow, and the back of the club is outlined with metal all around the border. The perimeter weighting will enhance the weight value behind the ball when you are making the off-center hits.
In addition, the muscle-back irons are designed with the weight put behind the sweet spot (and the sweet spot is extremely small). However, this small sweet spot will be worth it since the ball shooting will be optimized. When it comes to the perimeter weighting of the cavity back iron, it will be huge because the face will be integrated and reinforced due to the perimeter weight.
Moderately Wide Sole
If you have a little information about the golfing equipment, you would know the wide soles are responsible for lowering the center of gravity. This means that the weight can be pushed back behind the golf ball and under the shots. This will lead to high ball flight (yes, the arching ones) when there are mishits.
However, when there is an addition to the beef on the sole, the shots will be improved significantly when your iron hits the ground. This will put extra weight, which is responsible for making the weight ounce off the ground rather than snuggling deeper into the earth because of the thin sole. If you are a beginner golfer or a high handicapper, using the fat sole is amazing.
However, if you’ve improved to the mid-handicapper value, it is advised to use the moderate wide sole. They are the game improvement irons and are designed to help golfers push the ball off the ground and get it airborne in no time.
As per the information released by the golfing expert, the offset design of the clubhead states that the neck or hosel of the club head is positioned on the front side of the face. In the same vein, the clubface will appear to be back from the neck and hosel. If there is a higher offset value, the center of gravity will be drifted back from the shaft.
When the center of gravity is drifted back from the shaft, there will be a positive and direct impact on the trajectory. The higher offset will increase the launch and height of the shots. This will be optimal for people who struggle with getting the golf ball airborne. If you opt for the forgiving irons, the offset hosels will always be there.
On the other hand, the low handicappers tend to play with muscle-back irons and blades to ensure there is optimal squaring of the face impact because such golfers don’t need the offset. This is because offset will reduce the workability of the shots, the hits will fade away, and the draw value will be improved.
Don’t Use ‘Tour’ or ‘Pro’ Irons.
The irons with tour or pro in their model name are basically designed for the low handicap players or the professional players. As for now, there are chances that you don’t belong to such a skill level, but the tour or pro iron isn’t forgiving enough for the high handicappers. This is because the high handicappers need quick pushing of the ball into the air.
This is one of the prime functions of the improvement irons. This is because the forgiving irons are designed with the highest offset value, and the ball rise will be higher. In addition, the irons will ensure there is the lowest center of gravity that helps in improving the ball flight. In addition, the club head perimeter will be huge to ensure there is a higher forgiveness level.
Types of Irons
When it comes down to choosing the best golf irons for high handicappers, people will have multiple-choice options. This is because there are different types of irons available for the high handicapper players, inclusive of;
1. Game Improvement Irons
You might not believe this, but the game improvement irons are designed with ease of use, and the forgiveness level will increase as well. However, their clubs aren’t designed with a huge clubhead size. The golf improvement irons are designed with a lower center of gravity value that has the ability to play the steep angles because they can increase the height of the shots.
Also, it’s helpful in adding softness to the shots on the greens. On the other hand, the mid handicappers will have better golfing skills, which empowers them to choose the irons they like.
2. Intermediate Irons
When the golfers want to increase the improvement level in the shots, they will always look for the intermediate irons because it is helpful in developing the game. These irons will have a higher and dual forgiveness level while ramping up the performance in the shots. With these irons, hitting the center of gravity will be easy, and the weight carrying will be lightweight while steeping the angle.
3. Player’s Irons
When it comes down to the experienced and professional players, they tend to use the player’s irons because they are responsible for shaping the shots, and the overall feel will be enhanced. For instance, the golfers with handicap values ranging from 0 to 10 will be able to use the player’s irons. This is because the center of gravity will be lower and deep as well.
When it comes down to the high handicappers, forgiveness has to be the biggest priority. This is because if you aren’t able to hit the sweet spot, the effects of mishits will impact the shots. So, it is advised to use the irons with higher forgiveness if you tend to make mishits. The mishits are usually caused by off-targeting, but there will be an adverse impact on consistency.
This is one of the most important points to consider but is often underestimated. This is because the resale value is an apt choice. This is because people tend to improve their game, and the improvement or forgiving irons won’t be suitable for you anymore. The irons should always comply with the skill level, but once you harness new skills, you will need to buy another iron.
However, if the iron isn’t suitable enough once you have harnessed new skills, you can always sell it to buy the pro iron to cater to your professional demands.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Should Be The Width Of My Irons’ Soles?
The irons’ soles must be wider than the prevalent finger. The more oversized soles offer more forgiveness and help the golfer keep the ball at focus and support it to get higher into the air. Broader sole irons are an outstanding option for high handicappers as they improve their game dramatically. Besides, it allows the ball to land smoothly by giving bounce off to the iron.
2. What Should A High Handicapper Choose: Graphite Or Steel Shafts?
Many golfers prefer to have graphite shafts because of their lighter weight compared to steel shafts. The lightweight irons tend to enhance the swing speed. Professional golfers use steel shafts as they have more experience, so they don’t worry about heavyweight and swing speed. Steel feels good in hands and twists lesser than graphite shafts. Additionally, they are cheaper than graphite ones.
3. What Is My Handicap If I Score 95, 85, And 80?
If you perform on a par 72 course and hit 95, then your handicap will be 23. If you play on the 72 golf course and hit 85 and 80, your handicap will be 13 and 8, respectively.
4. What Handicap Do I Need To Become A Professional Tour Golfer?
If you want to become a professional golfer, you will have to score better than par and the rest of the turf regularly. In professional matches, handicaps are not used. Golfers compete against each other and the course. Handicaps are for amateur golfers and not for professionals.
5. Do Professional Tour Golf Players Have Handicaps?
The answer to this query is both yes and no. The club professionals who play golf with their membership will forever have a handicap. When they play a game with other members of the club, a handicap is utilized. They need to give up some strokes to make the game fair. If the same golfer qualifies for the US Open, his handicap will not be required. In the tournament, he will be competing against the whole arena. Professional golfers don’t have handicaps.
6. Is There Any Way To Lower My Handicap?
Every golfer wants to lower their handicap. For this purpose, follow these instructions.
- Spend more time practicing around the greeneries.
- Expose yourself to other courses to improve your game and scoring abilities.
- Play with better players than you to learn from them to decrease your handicap.
- Ask an outsider to observe your swing and scoring capabilities and take lessons from them.
- Learn all the scoring methods to decrease your scores because your driver won’t work on every tee box.
- Observe how the expert golfers perform on the course to lower your score.
7. What Should A High Handicapper Look For In Irons?
If you consider yourself a high handicapper, you need to look for irons that offer a comfortable feeling and better feedback along with maximum forgiveness. Brands advertise these clubs as “game improvement irons. Buy irons that feature traditional-sized heads that integrate game improvement technologies.
8. What Are The Different Types Of Flexes In Golf Club Shafts?
There are five different types of flexes in the golf shafts in which regular, senior, ladies, stiff, and extra stiff flexes are included. The stiffer shaft offers you more club speed.
High handicap men, golfers use it mostly. It is suitable for players who drive the ball 230 to 250 yards and have a swing speed of 85 to 95 miles per hour. It is the most forgiving flex in golf.
Senior And Ladies Flex
Ladies’ flex is the softest of all flex types. If your swing speed is around 75 mph and you drive the ball less than 200 yards, then you should grab ladies flex. However, if you strike further, you can buy a senior or regular flex.
If you drive the ball 250 to 270 yards and your swing speed is 95 to 110 miles per hour, you can acquire a stiff shaft. It is a perfect option for mid handicappers and also helps those golfers with erratic swings.
It is suitable for long hitters but is very difficult to find in the market. If you get a stiffer shaft, you will have to compromise on the loft and control your strikes.
9. What Happens If The Golf Shaft Is Too Flexible?
An extremely flexible shaft will launch the ball too high. Sometimes, you may have to experience a shot pattern with unreliable distribution or a ball that twists too much.
10. How Fast Do I Have To Swing If My Goal Is To Strike The Ball 300 Yards?
If you are willing to strike the ball 300 yards, you will need the ball speed of 100 miles per hour.
11. Who is called the high handicapper?
If the golfers make/complete the hole one over the par and have an index value of 18 according to the handicap index, you will be known as the high-handicappers.
12. What is the right handicap value?
When it comes down to the right handicap value, any handicap index value ranging from 10 to 18 will be the most appropriate handicap value.
13. Which is the suitable handicap value for the beginners?
Whenever it comes down to the high-handicappers, who are beginners, 108 is the most suitable value.
14. Which is the lowest score for the golf?
According to the records of the PGA tour, the lowest score that was ever made is 58.
15. Who Is The High Handicapper?
Even after this discussion, people are highly confused about what the high handicappers actually are. The handicap is nothing but numbers that outline the golfer’s skills and playability capability while they are on the golf course. For instance, if the golfer is good with these shots and swing (and in the course), they are considered the low handicapper.
This means that if someone is 2-handicapper, they are good at golf. You might be surprised to know this, but the handicap value is calculated, and it doesn’t come “naturally.” Well, the handicap number is calculated by compiling the recent golfing scores and comparing them to the difficulty of the golf course that was played when players scored the numbers.
This method of measuring the handicap value was designed by the USGA back in 1911. Also, they have outlined the max and min values for the high handicappers. The highest handicap allowed by the USGA for male golfers is 36, while the value increases to 40 for women. It doesn’t matter which number you’re on; if the value is exceeding 20, the golfer will be considered the high handicapper.
When the high handicappers are drawn to the golf course, they are introduced to the golf courses to give them an idea about the difficulty of the course. However, their capability to play in a certain course is measured by the course and slope rating. The course rating is defined by the 0-handicapped player and how they play on the course. On the other hand, slope rating is defined by the bogey golfer and what they score in the course, in contrast to the course rating.
High Handicappers & Golf Irons
For every golfer out there, who has been named as the high handicapper, they haven’t been able to make their perfect shots for the prime reason of inadequate irons. This is why the golf equipment manufacturers have designed the special irons that help the golfers learn how to make the right shots while reducing the number of mishits.
Such irons are often named the golf improvement irons, and those irons have been saturating the golfing world (of high handicappers) for a long time now. You might have come across multiple blogs and articles telling you the DIY tips to help lower the handicapped player and become the player, but none of that can match with the improvement done by the right iron.
So, if you have been looking for the best golf irons for high handicappers as well, it wouldn’t be wrong to say that we have outlined all the answers for you. This is because, in this article, we have outlined some amazing choices from top industry players. This will ensure that you have the best irons to help you reduce mishits.
All these irons are chosen intricately and after passing them through multiple tests. All in all, you can choose the irons that suit your skills and preferences because we have weighed down all the features, pros, and cons of the best golf irons for high handicappers. So, let’s have a look!
The Bottom Line
Choosing the eight iron is essential for optimizing the shots, and if you are trying to find the quality golf iron for the high handicapper, this article is an amazing choice.
In this article, we have added information about the best golf irons from different brands to ensure you have diverse options.
In addition, we have outlined the buying guide to ensure you can make an informed and practical choice while buying the best golf irons for high handicappers.